Acas, workplace experts have advised employers and employees to be practical, flexible and sensitive to each other’s situation when working from home because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Employers should keep everyone up to date and involved in decisions about working arrangements. Their website has lots of top tips and advice: https://www.acas.org.uk/working-from-home
Working from home during the coronavirus pandemic
For healthy and productive working when at home, its important to have trust and confidence between employers and employees.
Employers should make sure that everyone working from home:
- Is able to work in a safe and healthy way
- Is set up with the right equipment and technology
- Is able to communicate with everyone they need too
- Feels connected, including if they are a new starter
- Knows what is reasonably expected of them regarding their performance
- Feels trusted to do their job without constant supervision or unnecessary monitoring
- Has support available to them, for example, if they have caring responsibilities, or experiencing stress, bullying or harassment, or domestic abuse
- Know that disciplinary and grievance procedures still apply to help resolve any problems
Keeping in touch:
- Be understanding and Flexible about individual circumstances during this time
- Agree how and when to communicate with each other
- Make sure everyone has the right tools to keep in contact and knows how to use them
- Keep everyone up to date and involved in decisions about working arrangements and returning to the workplace
- Establish a trusting relationship to help improve performance and reduce stress and anxiety
- Talk with employees on how to manage and measure performance
- Make sure everyone is clear about what is expected
- Agree on learning and development that can be done remotely
- Be flexible and sensitive to individual circumstances
If you or your employer want any more information, please contact the team!